Stainless Steel Care and Maintenance
The Wagner Companies stocks a railing components and custom formed parts in stainless steel. They are available in Type 304 Stainless Steel — an austenitic stainless steel containing 18% chrome and 8% nickel (often referred to as 18-8 stainless). Some products are also available in Types 316 and 316L.
Type 304 is an ornamental grade. It works well in decorative, rust-resistant applications.
The misunderstanding that can occur with the use of Type 304 stainless steel is that it is rust-proof. As the name implies, it stains less. This is why Type 304 stainless steel requires special care.
How To Care For Stainless Steel
What To Avoid:
In most environments, stainless steel will perform well. But, here are some things to avoid.
Prevent contact with iron or steel products. Sandpaper, steel wool, or other metallic grinding components will corrupt the surface.
- Do not use mineral acids, salts, or bleaches.
- Proximity to salt water will cause corrosion over time.
- Do not expose stainless steel to concentrated chlorine or bromine products. Even a diluted mixture may cause discoloration.
What You May Do:
- Inspect the installation of a regular basis noting discoloration or stains.
- Wash with soap and water and a soft cloth to cut buildup.
- Treat any discoloration as soon as possible with brass or chrome cleaner. Irreversible pitting will occur without prompt treatment.
- A mild abrasive compound or pad will remove stubborn stains. But, be sure to follow the direction of the existing grain so as not to harm the existing mechanical finish. Rinse completely and dry with a clean cloth.
- Coat with a good quality car wax to protect the beauty of the surface.
For more information, visit the Nickel Development Institute.
Building on a 165-year legacy, Wagner is the go-to resource for contract metal fabricating and architectural aluminum & metal railing expertise. More than just a manufacturer and global railings supplier, our niche focus, local market knowledge and code compliance expertise enable us to innovate so we can better adapt to customer needs.
Accommodating to work with, Wagner lives to collaborate. Our customers rely on our sales and engineering staff to provide the best possible solution for any installation or application that demands a metal or aluminum railing. Responsive to answering calls and quick to solve problems, we remain an active partner throughout projects and in building long-lasting relationships. As proud and knowledgeable metal workers, we’re passionate about helping our customers find a better, faster and higher overall value solution that will more than meet expectations. As experts in code compliance requirements, we work with you to help ensure your handrailing, safety railings or custom railing specifications and installations meet or exceed them, worldwide.