A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V W
- HAMMERING - Hot or cold, machine or hand peening or denting of metal surfaces for artistic effect. Also referred to as "Swedish Look".
- HANDRAIL- Horizontal or sloping member normally grasped by hand. This member may be part of a railing system and often, but not necessarily, top member (top rail); or may be mounted on wall or other building element. When part of stair-rail system, it is a member paralleling the pitch of the flight and is often, but not necessarily, top member. See "Wall Handrail".
- HANDRAIL BRACKET- A device attached to a wall, post or other surface to support a handrail.
- HANGER (Stairs) - A load-carrying tension member used to support a stair framing member by suspension from floor construction or other support above.
- HARD ANODIC COATING - A coating on aluminum by a proprietary anodizing process without the use of dyes or pigments. It provides a high resistance to abrasion and corrosion and is produced in various shades of bronze, gray and black.
- HEADER, FLIGHT - A horizontal structural member used in stair construction at a floor or platform level to support the end(s) of one or more stringers.
- HEADER, PLATFORM - A horizontal structural member supporting stair platform construction but carrying no stringers.
- HEADING - The process of "upsetting" or enlarging the end of a piece of metal.
- HEADROOM - The minimum vertical distance from the top surface of a stair tread or platform to the ceiling, soffit or other overhead obstruction, measured at the outer edge of a tread.
- HIGH-STRENGTH, LOW-ALLOY STEEL - Steel having a chemical composition specifically developed to impart higher mechanical property values and, in some cases, greater resistance to atmospheric corrosion than is obtainable from conventional carbon structural steels.
- HOT DIP GALVANIZING - The process or result of applying a protective coating to ferrous metal by dipping in a bath of molten zinc.
- HOT ROLLED - Shaped by passing a heated billet between rollers.
- HOT WORKING - The process of forming a metal when its temperature is higher than its recrystallization temperature.
Return to Top
- I.D. - Inside Diameter
- I.P.S. - Iron pipe size: The nominal inside diameter dimension of pipe.
- KALCOLOR - The trade name used by Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation for its hard anodic coatings. See "Hard Anodic Coating".
- KICK PLATE - a) A protective plate fastened to the lower face of faces of a door. b) A vertical plate forming a lip or low curb at the open edge of a stair platform or floor, or at the back edge or open end of a stair tread, on and open riser stair. Also referred to as a "Toe Plate", or "Toe Board".
- KNOB - An ornamental or functional round handle on a door; may be used to actuate a lock or latch.
- KNOCKED DOWN - A term used in reference to any product that is shipped disassembled, for assembly at the building site. Commonly abbreviated "KD".
Return to Top
- LAMB'S TONGUE- An ornamental curved and tapered fitting terminating a handrail.
- LANDING - Level part of staircase at end of stair flight. See "Platform".
- LAP SEAM - Joint formed by overlapping edges of metal sheets or plates and joining them by riveting, welding, soldering or brazing.
- LATERAL SCROLL- A fitting which curves in a horizontal plane, used to terminate a stair handrail. Often ends up as a round plate covering the top of a post.
- LAY OUT - To scale out configuration of structure.
- LINTEL - A horizontal structural member spanning a wall opening at its head to support the wall above the opening.
Return to Top
- MALLEABLE IRON - A sand cast iron which is annealed and can be bent cold to some degree. It is used in many metal building products where strength and ability to resist shock are essential. It is easily welded without danger or cracking by the same method used for welding steel.
- MAYARI-R STEEL - Trade name used by Bethlehem Steel Corporation for its type of "Weathering Steel".
- MECHANICAL COATING - The process of applying a protective coating to ferrous metal by hammering zinc powder or flakes into metal surface with glass pellets during tumbling.
- MECHANICAL CONNECTION (Railing) - A connection between railing members made by means other than welding or adhesive bonding.
- MECHANICAL PROPERTIES - Properties characterizing response to applied forces, such as strength, stiffness, elasticity and ductility.
- METALLIZE - To apply a coating of metal, usually in a powdered or molten form, on a base metal or other material.
- MID RAIL - Rail located between top and bottom rails.
- MILL FINISH - The original surface finish produced on a metal mill product by rolling, extruding or drawing.
- MILL SCALE - The scaly, oxidized surface produced on steel by heating and hot rolling.
- MINIMUM TANGENT - The minimum length of straight pipe on the end of a bend required by the bending machine to form the bend (see TANGENT)
- MOCKUP - A section of a structure or assembly, built full size or to scale, for purposes of testing its performance, studying its construction details of judging its appearance.
- MOLD - A form into which molten metal is poured to produce a casting.
Return to Top
- NEWEL - A post member, usually square or rectangular in cross section, supporting the end of a stair railing or serving as a common support for two stair railings.
- NON-FERROUS - Metal without any iron content
- NOSING - That part of a stair tread or platform which projects as a square, rounded, or rounded and molded edge beyond the vertical face of the riser below it.
- O.D. - Outside Diameter
- OVALITY - The distortion or flattening of tube or pipe from its normal round shape caused by the bending process
Return to Top
- PAN BRACKET (Stairs) - See "Carrier Angle" or "Carrier Bar".
- PAN TREAD (Stairs) - See "Tread, Pan Type".
- PANEL - Portion of railing between posts, top rail, and bottom rail.
- PATTERN - Model for making mold into which molten metal material is poured to produce casting; to produce like image in mold.
- PERFORATING - Punching or drilling an overall pattern of holes or openings in sheet metal.
- PERFORMANCE - Conformance with established criteria.
- PERMANENT - Functioning indefinitely without fundamental or marked change; in contrast to temporary.
- PERMANENT SET - The extent to which a component or structure is permanently deformed by an applied load after removal of the load.
- PHOSPHATIZING - The process of producing a phosphate conversion coating on metal by dipping it in a suitable aqueous solution of phosphoric acid, to improve paint adhesion and increase corrosion resistance.
- PHYSICAL PROPERTIES - Material properties, such as specific gravity or density, electrical and thermal conductivities, and coefficient of thermal expansion, serving to characterize and distinguish between different kinds of matter.
- PICKET- One of a series of closely-spaced upright members which support the handrail in a railings. See "Baluster".
- PICKET CASTING - Ornamental design attached to a picket.
- PICKET RAILING - Railing consisting of posts, pickets, top rail and, sometimes, bottom rail.
- PICKLING - The treatment of metal surfaces with a strong oxidizing agent, such as nitric acid, to make them chemically clean and provide a strong, inert oxide film.
- PIPE RAILING- Railing fabricated of pipe
- PIPE, ROUND- A hollow round section of metal, the size of which is usually designated by nominal inside diameter.
- PITCH DIMENSION (Stairs) - The distance between the bases of the top and bottom risers in a flight, measured parallel to the slope. Sometimes referred to as the nose to nose dimension.
- PITCH BLOCK - See "Carrier Angle".
- PITTING - Localized surface defects in metal, in the form of small depressions or "pits", usually caused by electrochemical corrosion.
- PLATE - Flat metal, .180" thick or over in thickness and over 8" in width.
- PLATFORM (Stairs) - A horizontal surface having a dimension parallel to the stringer greater than a tread width and occurring in a stair at the end of a flight or between flights, either at a floor level or between floors. In the latter case, it is sometimes referred to as an intermediate platform or landing.
- PLATFORM HEADER - See "Header, Platform".
- POCKET - Opening provided in structure to accept post, rail-supporting bracket or structural member.
- POST (Railing)- A vertical, supporting member of a railing system.
- PRIMER - Liquid coating applied to surface prior to application of paint or other finish.
- PRIMER PAINT - First coat applied to metal to retard corrosion temporarily and to provide satisfactory adhesion of finish coat.
- PUNCHING - A process of forcing a punch through the metal into a die, forming a hole in the shape of the punch.
Return to Top